Office of Global Engagement

Telephone: 706-542-2900

Click here for our recently updated FAQ Regarding Immigration Status and Services at UGA

Please note: In order to best serve our students and scholars during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, Immigration Services will continue to mail documents through fall semester to reduce in-person office visits. See here for more information.

College Nominations of International Students for Out-of-State Tuition Waivers

The Office of Global Engagement is allotted a limited number of out-of-state tuition waivers that can be awarded to outstanding international students who are nominated by their department or College. Nominations are awarded on a rolling basis, so applying early is advantageous. Click on the link below for an information sheet on the nomination process:

OGE Out-of-State Tuition Waiver Nomination Process

International students in F-1 or J-1 visa status are allowed certain work benefits for on-campus positions.

  • On-Campus Work +

    F-1 and J-1 international students attending UGA, who have an I-20 form (F-1 student) or a DS-2019 form (J-1 student) issued by UGA, can work part-time during academic semesters, and full -time over vacation terms or breaks, on any of UGA's campuses.

    F-1 status students do not need any special authorization or documentation, as long as they have been maintaining legal status in the U.S.

    J-1 status students must have written authorization from an Immigration Services (IS) advisor at UGA prior to accepting on campus employment.

  • Off-Campus Work +

    All F-1 and J-1 status students need immigration authorization to work off-campus. In most cases, students must have been in status for at least one academic year before they can be authorized to work off-campus.

    CPT-Curricular Practical Training (F students)
    • CPT is off-campus work permission that requires a student to receive academic credit for an internship. The work can be paid or unpaid. Evidence of authorization for CPT is entered on page 3 of the I-20 form. The immigration advisor must authorize CPT in advance on the student's I-20 form.
    OPT- Optional Practical Training (F students)
    • Students have the option of working in their field after graduation for a maximum of 12 months. An application for OPT is processed by the IS advisor and then is mailed by the student to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for approval. This application can take up to three- five months to be approved. Evidence of authorization for OPT is a temporary work card issued by the U.S. government. The accepted employment must be directly related to the student's field of study.
    Academic Training (J students)
    • J-1 students can also obtain off-campus work permission. Academic training can be authorized in the form of an employment eligibility letter for a J-1 student who can establish that the specific work experience will enhance their exchange objective. Evidence of this work authorization is a valid DS-2019 form and a letter from the immigration advisor at the sponsoring school.

    International students may apply for the above types of work permissions at .

  • Additional Resources +

    Dependent Employment

    An F-2 (dependent of an F1 student) cannot work or study while in the U.S. J-2 (dependent of a J1) status individuals can work if they have applied for and received a temporary work card authorizing them for employment.

    Outside Sponsored Students

    An F-1 or J-1 status student sponsored by another U.S. school can work at UGA with authorization from either that school listed on the I-20 form or DS-2019 form (Curricular Practical Training or Academic Training), or from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) in the form of a temporary work card (Optional Practical Training).

    Pathways for Engaging International Graduate Researchers