Office of Global Engagement

Telephone: 706-542-2900

Click here for our recently updated FAQ Regarding Immigration Status and Services at UGA

Please note: In order to best serve our students and scholars during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, Immigration Services will continue to mail documents through fall semester to reduce in-person office visits. See here for more information.

The spouse and dependent children (under 21 years of age) of an F-1 or J-1 student may accompany the F-1 or J-1 student to the U.S. by applying for and receiving F-2 or J-2 dependent visas.

  • Immigration Information for Dependents +
    Dependents of F-1 Students

    F-2 visa holders are allowed to study part-time as adults in the United States or as children in elementary and secondary school. F-2 dependents are not permitted to work.

    Please see our F-2 Policy sheet for more information.

    Dependents of J-1 Students

    J-2 visa holders are permitted to study part-time or full-time in the United States. Children are also permitted to enroll in elementary and secondary school.  J-2 dependents may apply for work authorization with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). J-2 dependents may contact an Immigration Services Advisor regarding this process.

    To request a dependent I-20 or DS-2019, please visit:

  • Global Families +

    The Global Families Partnership Program was conceived with the intent of creating a global community throughout UGA. By pairing international families and U.S. families together, it serves to strengthen relationships throughout UGA's faculty, staff, students, and scholars to further enhance UGA's effort in becoming a globalized campus.

    Join the Global Families Program

  • International Family Resources +

    Life in a new country can be challenging and exciting for international students, scholars, and their families. For helpful resources to support international families, please visit the link below:

    International Family Resources